EU budget chief expects Turkey aid to be cut over crackdown



Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

BERLIN (AP) — The man in charge of the European Union's budget says he expects aid to Turkey worth billions of euros to be suspended because of the government's crackdown on suspected opponents.

EU budget commissioner Guenther Oettinger told Germany's Bild newspaper in comments published Monday that a 4.3 billion euro ($5.1 billion) fund had been intended to "bring Turkey closer to Europe." The aid included training for judges and prosecutors and is supposed to continue until 2020.

Oettinger was quoted as saying that "in view of the political developments in Turkey, I can't imagine that such projects will continue to be funded."

Turkey has fired thousands of judges and prosecutors suspected of links to U.S.-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen following a failed military coup last year. Overall, some 50,000 people have been arrested.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast