News / Utah / 

2 killed in fiery semitruck crash on I-80


15 photos

Show 3 more videos

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

GRANTSVILLE — Two people are dead after a fiery crash involving two semitrucks in Tooele County.

The crash shut down a 7-mile stretch of I-80 near Grantsville in both directions for over six hours. One eastbound lane reopened shortly after 10 a.m. The westbound lanes need to be repaved and were expected to remain closed until Wednesday evening, according to the Utah Department of Transportation. UDOT estimated the road would be reopened by 12:51 a.m. Thursday.

A semitrailer pulling a military vehicle on a flatbed was heading east on I-80 about 3 a.m. when it hit a median northwest of Grantsville, Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Todd Royce said.

The driver of the semitrailer, identified as Fred V. Marsh, 61, of Sun Valley, Nevada, died from his injuries.

The military vehicle detached from the flatbed and rolled into the westbound lanes on I-80, Royce said.

A westbound FedEx double-load semitrailer then crashed into the military vehicle and erupted into flames, Royce said. A co-driver in the passenger seat of the FedEx truck died from his injuries. He was later identified as Robert E. Kuntz, 58, of Urich, Missouri.

The driver of the vehicle survived with injuries that were not considered to be life-threatening. He was taken to a nearby hospital.

The semi that burned continued to smolder throughout the morning.

The I-80 closure was between Exit 77 near Grantsville and Exit 84, affecting traffic to and from Wendover for several hours.

Contributing: Ben Lockhart


Linda Williams


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast