Idaho Fish and Game halts online sales after computer breach

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — The Idaho Department of Fish and Game says there's been a computer breach and it has suspended online sales of hunting and fishing licenses.

Fish and Game spokesman Mike Keckler said Thursday the agency is working with its vendor, a Dallas, Texas,-based company called Active Network, to determine if hackers gained access to personal information.

"At this point we still do not know what Idaho data was breached," Keckler said. "All we know is that somebody was able to hack into our vendor's system, and this vendor services more than just Idaho."

Active Network on its website says more than 42,000 organizers use its event and activity management software. The company didn't immediately return calls or respond to emails from The Associated Press on Thursday.

Keckler said Idaho's online licensing system run by Active Network will be down indefinitely.

He said licenses can still be purchased at businesses that sell Idaho hunting or fishing licenses because they use a separate system that hasn't been breached.

Erin Taylor, a manager at the Cabela's in Boise, confirmed the system is working fine.

"We've been able to take care of quite a few happy customers this morning," she said.

Keckler said about 80 percent of the license sales are at businesses with the remaining 20 percent purchased online. Keckler didn't have an estimate of how many people might be affected.

State officials in a statement late Wednesday announced the shutdown of its online sales through Active Network.

Active Network in 2014 in a letter apologized to Idaho Fish and Game officials following a shutdown due to a large volume of transactions involving hunting tag purchases. The shutdown meant hundreds of hunters were unable to complete their transactions for resident elk tags.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent Business stories

Related topics



    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast