Deaths of Princess Anne family prompts new state regulations



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

PRINCESS ANNE, Md. (AP) — After a family of eight was fatally poisoned by carbon monoxide at their Princess Anne home, new requirements for electricity service termination are in effect.

The Daily Times reports (http://delmarvane.ws/2biF8hY) that since Monday, utility providers are required to contact an occupant in person or by posted notice at the premise upon the termination of alleged meter tampering or hazardous conditions at the structure.

A utility also must inform occupants of a dwelling about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning from portable generators, and about energy assistance.

In April 2015, Princess Anne police found Rodney Todd and his seven children dead inside their home from carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator inside their kitchen. They were poisoned in their sleep.

Prior to the deaths, the power company discovered a stolen meter and cut off electricity to their home.

___

Information from: The Daily Times of Salisbury, Md., http://www.delmarvanow.com/

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast