Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
BERLIN (AP) — A Swiss man who attacked passengers aboard a train with a knife and a burning liquid, killing one and wounding five, didn't know any of his victims according to the investigation so far, prosecutors said Tuesday.
Investigators also haven't found any indication that the 27-year-old attacker was linked to any kind of political or religious extremism, St. Gallen canton (state) prosecutors' spokesman Roman Dobler said.
Seven people including the suspect were initially wounded in the Saturday afternoon attack. On Sunday, the assailant, identified only as Simon S., and a 34-year-old woman he had attacked died of their injuries.
Three victims remain in hospital: a 17-year-old girl in life-threatening condition as well as a 6-year-old girl and a 43-year-old woman, both of whom are considered to be out of danger, police said.
The attacker died before he was able to be interrogated and authorities are still trying to determine what may have prompted the attack, which took place as the train neared the Swiss town of Salez, close to the border with Liechtenstein.
The suspect lived in a neighboring Swiss canton but also had a residence in Liechtenstein, which has been searched in conjunction with authorities there, Dobler said.
In that and other searches, authorities seized many electronic items, such as computers, storage devices and a mobile telephone. The information on them is now being evaluated, Dobler said.
"We're trying to build as much as possible a full picture of what caused the suspect to carry out this act," he said.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.