News / Utah / 

Fire destroys Pleasant Grove home


4 photos

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

A garage fire ruined a Pleasant Grove home. Luckily, everyone in the family escaped unharmed.

The residents were outside when they noticed the flames. If they not been on their back deck roasting marshmallows, there's a chance it would have been too late before they noticed the flames blazing out of their garage.

Fire authorities say the fire started in the garage and then spread to the inside of the home. Huge flames are all you can see in home video sent to us by a witness.

"We heard lots of booming and popping," one neighbor said.

The homeowners called 911, and when firefighters arrived closed to midnight, the garage was fully engulfed and flames were threatening a neighboring home.

Just to be safe, some neighbors were evacuated.

Firefighters think the fire was accidental. They say electricity or spontaneous combustion could be to blame.

"When you have a garage like this, and the kind of heat we have going on right now, it gets hot in garage. And then you put the rags on top of each other, and they ignite," said Capt. Steven Brande, of the Pleasant Grove Fire Department.

We're told some rags were found in the garage, but the fire marshal says it could be hard to say for sure if those rags are the cause of the fire.

The garage, two cars in the driveway and much of the home were destroyed. It all adds up to more than $300,000 in damage.

For now, the family is staying with neighbors across the street.

E-mail: corton@ksl.com

Photos

Courtney Orton

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast