London subway strikes suspended to allow for more talks

By The Associated Press | Posted - Aug. 24, 2015 at 11:01 a.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

LONDON (AP) — London subway workers say they are suspending strikes that had been planned for this week.

Two 24-hour walkouts were planned — one from Tuesday evening, and again on Thursday. The action threatened to disrupt commuters for most of the week.

Workers of the London Underground, or Tube, have been locked in a long-running dispute over plans to start new all-night train services.

The Unite union, which represents 400 technicians and signalers, said it made the decision as a "gesture of goodwill" to allow further talks to be held.

The Rail, Maritime and Transport union also said Monday they would suspend this week's strikes. It said, however, that workers may strike on Sept. 8 and 10 if a deal is not reached or if the new night services are imposed.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast