News / 

Warning about gunman...Pentagon: No plan to invade Texas...B.B. King custodial feud

By The Associated Press | Posted - May 7, 2015 at 3:41 p.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The FBI says federal investigators knew that one of the two gunmen in an attempted attack in Texas might be interested in going to a provocative Prophet Muhammad cartoon contest. FBI Director James Comey says the information surfaced Sunday, hours before the attack in suburban Dallas. Police in Garland were sent a bulletin about Elton Simpson. He and a second man, also from Phoenix, were killed by police.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Secret Service is adding a second layer of steel spikes to the top of the White House fence to keep would-be intruders from scaling it. The steel "pencil point" spikes will be snapped into place at the top of the fence and protrude outward. The Secret Service has been studying ways to improve security since a Texas man climbed over the fence and ran into the executive mansion in September.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon isn't amused by an Internet conspiracy theory that a U.S. military exercise in Texas is part of a hostile takeover. Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott has asked his State Guard to monitor the training exercise. Earlier this week hundreds packed a meeting in rural Bastrop County asking if the government was planning to confiscate guns or implement martial law. Asked today at the Pentagon if the U.S. plans to take over Texas, Defense Secretary Ash Carter simply said "no."

ST. LOUIS (AP) — A week after he filed a lawsuit against Ferguson, Missouri, it's former police chief and the officer who fatally shot Michael Brown, the man who was with Brown at the time has been charged with a new case of resisting arrest. Dorian Johnson was arrested yesterday with two other people by officers trying to disperse a crowd. It's a misdemeanor charge.

L AS VEGAS (AP) — A dispute over B.B. King's health and wealth has been tossed out of court by a judge in Las Vegas. The judge says two investigations found no evidence the blues legend is being abused. King's doctor says the 89-year-old musician is in home hospice care. Today's ruling keeps his longtime business manager, Laverne Toney, in legal control of King's affairs.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast