News / Utah / 

Man arrested after leading police chase onto tarmac

(Salt Lake County Jail)

2 photos

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — A man with a criminal history led police on a chase onto the tarmac of the Salt Lake City International Airport early Monday.

The incident began with routine traffic stop on the airport's north side, near 4000 West and 1200 North, about 3 a.m.

"The bumper of the vehicle was dragging across the ground," said airport spokeswoman Bianca Shreeve.

After an officer from the Airport Authority pulled the vehicle over to investigate, he got the man's driver's license. But as soon as he started walking back to his patrol car to do a background check, Shreeve said the driver sped away.

During the ensuing chase, the man drove through a fence and onto airport property and then onto the tarmac. Fortunately, at that time of the morning, Shreeve said there were no flights taking off or landing at the airport.

He continued to the opposite end of the airport, crashing through another fence on the south end to get out, she said.

The man ended up on Wingpointe Golf Course where his vehicle crashed. The driver got out and ran. Officers caught up with him a short time later and found him attempting to hide in a pond, Shreeve said. The chase lasted about eight minutes from start to finish.

Leo Greene, 39, was arrested for investigation of fleeing, resisting arrest, property damage and driving on a revoked license. Shreeve said DUI was also being considered.

Greene has already been charged in three other cases in 2015. Last week, he was charged with felony drug possession and driving on a suspended license in 2nd District Court. He was charged with felony shoplifting in 4th District Court in January in one case, and was charged in 3rd District Court in another case of failing to stop at the command of a law enforcer, according to court records.

Greene's criminal history includes drug-related and fleeing charges dating back to the 1990s, court records indicate.

He was on probation several times since 1998 and was sent to the Utah State Prison on a probation violation in 2010, according to the Utah Department of Corrections. Most recently, he was sent back to prison on a parole violation on Jan. 29, 2013, and was released on Nov. 25, 2014.


Pat Reavy


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast