News / 

Afghan mission closing down...Search ongoing for missing airliner...Ferry fire prompts evacuations

Save Story

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — A formal end to 13 years of war in Afghanistan is now upon the United States and NATO. A ceremony is set today at their military headquarters in Kabul to mark the occasion. The mission ends with 2,224 American soldiers killed, of a total tally of some 3,500 foreign troop deaths. The mission peaked at 140,000 troops in 2010.

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) — Indonesia's acting director general of transportation says there are no assumptions that can be made as the search goes on today for a missing AirAsia plane with 162 people on board. The plane was over the Java Sea on a trip from Indonesia to Singapore when contact with the Airbus A320-200 was lost. The Indonesian official says there was no distress signal from the plane.

ATHENS, Greece (AP) — A Greek ferry is on fire and an evacuation has been ordered though there are no reports of injuries. Authorities in Greece say the ferry bound for Italy with 466 people has a fire in the car deck. Nearby ships have been instructed to take passengers and crew members from the ferry Norman Atlantic west of the island of Corfu.

NEW YORK (AP) — A sea of blue uniforms stretched for blocks outside the Christ Tabernacle Church in Queens as thousands of police officers, state troopers, sheriff's deputies and others attended the funeral of a slain officer. Rafael Ramos was killed along with his partner a week ago in a brazen, daylight ambush by a man with a violent history who later killed himself. Police Commissioner William Bratton, said Ramos and Wenjian Liu were targeted because they wore a uniform.

ST. LOUIS (AP) — In St. Louis, about 125 people protesting police violence against unarmed suspects marched on the Gateway Arch, prompting park police to close the monument early. Quiet for much of the time, protesters yelled and chanted at the Arch. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports some onlookers were annoyed they couldn't visit the monument.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent News stories

The Associated Press


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast