UConn says emergency cuts won't affect tuition

By Pat Eaton-robb, Associated Press | Posted - Dec. 20, 2014 at 7:02 a.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

STORRS, Conn. (AP) — UConn President Susan Herbst says tuition and classes won't be affected by Governor Dannel P. Malloy's recent budget rescissions.

Malloy has ordered the school to cut $2.3 million from its main operating grant and $1.3 million from the grant for the UConn Health Center in Farmington. Those are among $54.6 million in rescissions the governor ordered last month to address a projected $99.5 million shortfall in the budget.

Herbst says the school still has a couple of months to decide where the cuts will come, but says they won't impact UConn's "academic enterprise."

The school says it's looking at areas such as equipment purchases. The school also has $94.6 million in emergency reserves.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Pat Eaton-Robb

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast