Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Indianapolis hospitals have put temporary visitor restrictions in place to try to protect patients from the flu virus.
The Marion County health department says that starting Monday all major hospitals in the city are restricting visitors to immediate family members over age 18. They also are asking visitors with fever or coughs to stay home.
Health department director Virginia Caine says the restrictions are necessary to help protect patients, visitors and hospital staff from exposure to the flu virus.
For the week ending Dec. 6, Marion County reported influenza-like illness was the chief complaint for 2.7 percent of all hospital emergency department visits countywide, or 291 total visits. This is compared to 1 percent of emergency department visits during the same week last year.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.