Fire causes $150K in damage to South Ogden duplex

8 photos
Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SOUTH OGDEN — Investigators were trying to determine Sunday what sparked a fire Saturday night that caused an estimated $150,000 in damage.

Fire crews responded to the blaze at 10:20 p.m. at 240 Chimes View Drive in South Ogden. According to a witness, the fire began in the garage of a duplex and spread to a pickup truck outside the residence, said South Ogden Deputy Fire Chief Rick Rasmussen.

"The pickup truck was full of gasoline and the tank was ruptured so (there) was gas running everywhere," he said.

Both the garage and truck were engulfed in flames when fire crews arrived. Weber Fire District, Riverdale and Ogden fire departments assisted. It took a couple of hours to extinguish the blaze and crews were able to use a backhoe to keep the fire from spreading to the front of the home. About 50 percent of the home was undamaged.

No one was inside either part of the duplex when the fire started. Responding crews were able to rescue parakeets from the downstairs residence, Rasmussen said.


Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Whitney Evans


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast