Browns' Bryant says he's cleared after heart scare

By Tom Withers, Associated Press | Posted - Mar. 7, 2014 at 5:11 p.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

CLEVELAND (AP) — Browns defensive end Desmond Bryant says he's been medically cleared to play after a health scare.

Bryant underwent an operation in December to correct an irregular heartbeat. His season ended with four games left because of a rapid heartbeat, a condition he has known about for several years and had been treated for in the past.

On Friday, Bryant posted a message on his Twitter account, saying "the doctor gave me full clearance and I am currently preparing for a very successful 2014 season!"

The 28-year-old signed a five-year, $34 million contract as a free agent last March with Cleveland. He finished with 3 1-2 sacks and 45 tackles in 12 games.

Bryant had been taking medication for the condition, which forced him to leave an Oct. 3 game against Buffalo. He experienced a rapid heart rate following a game against Jacksonville on Dec. 1 and doctors determined he needed a heart ablation.

___

AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Tom Withers

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast