House fire sends 1 woman to hospital

2 photos
Save Story
Leer en Español

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — One woman was taken to a local hospital to be treated for minor smoke inhalation following an early morning house fire.

Salt Lake City fire crews were called to a house fire near 450 South and 1300 East about 6 a.m. Monday. The two homeowners, a man and wife, had gotten out of the house by the time firefighters arrived.

The fire was believed to have started because of an electrical problem, said fire spokesman Jasen Asay.

The couple, a husband in his 60s and a wife in her 50s, was awake in their home when the lights went out, Asay said. The husband reset the circuit breaker, but five minutes later the power went out again, he said.

The husband reset the circuit breaker a second time, at which point the couple began to smell smoke from a back bedroom and called 911.

The fire caused about $40,000 to two bedrooms and part of the kitchen, Asay said. The couple will be temporarily displaced from their home.

The Red Cross also responded to the fire to provide assistance to the home owners.


Related stories

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Pat Reavy


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast