Sandy family's Christmas celebration disrupted by garage fire

11 photos
Save Story

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SANDY — A fire burned a Sandy family's garage Wednesday, but their house was spared as the flames were contained.

The family of six at 9232 S. 1195 East heard crackling about 5:45 p.m. Christmas Day and went out to discover the attached garage fully engulfed in flames, said Sandy Deputy Fire Chief Bruce Cline.

The family saved a car by pushing it out of the garage, something Cline said isn't recommended, but the rest of the structure and everything inside was lost. The house was spared.

"The garage did what it was supposed to do," Cline said. "The thick sheet rock, it held it in check, it kept it in the garage. It didn't burn up into the bedrooms above or into the kitchen area, which is a good thing."

Fire crews quickly doused the single-alarm fire and no injuries were reported, Cline said.

The family, displaced by smoke damage, was staying with relatives Wednesday night.


Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

McKenzie Romero


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast