News / Utah / 

South Jordan house fire rips through garage, attic


3 photos

Show 1 more video

Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SOUTH JORDAN — Ashes may have sparked a house fire that caused an estimated $50,000 in damage Wednesday morning.

About 10 a.m., firefighters responded to a call from a neighbor of a home at 9435 S. 2500 West who said she saw smoke coming from the back of the house's garage, according to South Jordan Fire Battalion Chief Wayne Edginton. Battalion

While en route, crews called in another engine when they received word that a person was still inside the burning house. When they arrived, they found that the couple who lived at the home was in the house when the fire started but went to a neighbor's home when they discovered the blaze.

Although investigators have yet to confirm the origin of the fire, Edginton said they have one possible theory. "We suspect that was hot ashes from a stove that they have downstairs," he said.

Earlier in the day, the owner of the home cleaned ashes from a stove inside the home, placed them in a paper bag and then into a garbage can located on the back patio, where fire officials believe the fire originated.

It took 35 firefighters about an hour to extinguish all the hot spots, Edginton said. The flames consumed the roof of the garage and ran through the attic.

No one was injured in the fire and no other homes were threatened, according to fire officials.

Video Contributing: Shara Park

Photos

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Utah
Whitney Evans

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast