News / Utah / 

Lawsuit filed over boy's falling tombstone death

By Michelle L. Price, Associated Press | Posted - Jul 5th, 2013 @ 10:49am



SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - The parents of a Lehi boy who was killed after a tombstone fell on him last year are suing the cemetery's association.

According to a lawsuit filed in Utah's Third District Court on Tuesday, 4-year-old Carson Dean Cheney was posing for photos with family at Glenwood Cemetery in Park City on July 5 when a 4-foot-tall tombstone fell on him.

The lawsuit says the child only lightly touched the tombstone before it fell.

The boy's parents are seeking more than $300,000 from the Glenwood Cemetery Association and claim the organization negligently attempted to fix the headstone years before.

Glenwood Cemetery Association President Bruce Erickson did not immediately return messages left Friday morning.

Erickson said last year that families are responsible for maintaining the headstones. (Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Related Stories

Michelle L. Price

KSL Weather Forecast

Updated: Tuesday September 18, 2018 6:56 pm