News / Utah / 

Fugitive arrested after police chase ends with flaming car

By Nkoyo Iyamba and David Self Newlin | Posted - Mar 31st, 2013 @ 3:58pm

WEST JORDAN — A wanted man was taken into custody Sunday after leading police on a chase through West Jordan that ended in flames after the man crashed into another car and drove through a back yard.

At about 9 p.m., a Unified Police officer pulled over a black Mitsubishi Lancer near 6400 South airport road that appeared to be driving recklessly, according to Lt. Justin Hoya. The couple inside looked like they were having an argument, Hoyal said.

As the officer was conducting the stop, he recognized the man as a parole fugitive named Matthew Garcia, someone who was known to be armed, Hoyal said.

The officer called for backup, but while waiting for it to arrive, Garcia fled in his vehicle and the officer pursued.

After Garcia turned west onto 7800 South, the officer unsuccessfully attempted to stop the vehicle by using a "pursuit intervention technique maneuver." After traveling further on 7800 South, Garcia collided with another vehicle at the intersection with 4800 West, Hoyal said.

Nevertheless, Garcia continued the chase. He subsequently dove over a lawn, a sidewall, a fence, through a back yard and into the cul-de-sac at Berry Glen Circle, where his vehicle burst into flames due to damage from the previous collision, according to Hoyal.

Officers were then able to take Garcia into custody without further incident and put the car fire out.

Hoyal said that Garcia was transported to a local hospital for treatment of minor injuries resulting from the crash. The woman driving the other vehicle in that accident was treated for minor injuries at the scene, according to Hoyal.

Garcia will be booked into Salt Lake County Jail upon his release from the hospital, Hoyal said.

"We were able to get a wanted parole fugitive who is known to be armed off the street," Hoyal said.

Nkoyo Iyamba
    David Self Newlin

      KSL Weather Forecast