News / Utah / 

SWAT finds 1 dead, 1 injured in Cedar City home

By Stephanie Grimes | Posted - Feb 15th, 2013 @ 10:30pm

9 photos

Show 1 more video

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

CEDAR CITY — A man is dead and a woman is injured after a standoff Friday afternoon in Cedar City.

The Cedar City Police Department and SWAT responded to reports of a male suicide 386 N. 400 West at about 2 p.m. Friday. While en route, officers were informed there may have been a shooting at the residence.

Police made contact with a man outside of the house, who said there were two people inside the home, one of whom had been shot. He said the second person in the home was likely armed with a handgun.

SWAT entered the home and found an adult male who was deceased and an injured woman. The woman had suffered an apparent gunshot wound, according to Sgt. Jimmy Roden.

The woman was transported to an area hospital and later airlifted to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray.

One person of interest has been taken into custody. Roden said it is unclear exactly what happened in the house.

"We're in the very beginning stages of the investigation," he said. "As more details come in, we'll understand more about it, but right now, we're still just putting the pieces together."

Alexis Camizzi, who was at her mother's home near the scene, said police knocked on the door about 2:45 p.m. and told them to evacuate.

"They told us it was a shooting inside and an armed suspect inside," Camizzi said. "They had a suspect, and they actually brought the person of interest over by our apartments."

Camizzi also said nearby schools were put on a temporary lockdown and bus routes were diverted. 

Contributing: Alex Cabrero and McKenzie Romero


Stephanie Grimes

    KSL Weather Forecast