This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SALT LAKE CITY -- We know her as the Organized Cook, and Toni Spilsbury joins us this morning with a fun option for your summer meal plans.
It's tough to get everyone in one place for dinner during summer, but she shows us something that will make everyone want to get to the table on time.
Sauteed Steak with Spinach, Tomatoes & Avocado with Steamed Brown Rice
What You Will Need:
•Brown rice- 1 cup
• Chicken broth- 1 14.5oz.-can
• 4 6-oz. thin- cut steaks like beef tenderloin steaks (1/2- to 3/4- inch thick)
• Baby spinach- 16 oz.
• Tomatoes, Roma or vine-ripened- 2, sliced into 1-inch slices and then in half
• Avocado- 1, diced
• Water- ½ cup
• Salt & pepper
• Olive oil- 3 tablespoons
• Butter- 2 tablespoons
1. Bring chicken stock, water and rice to a boil
2. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to low to simmer until all liquid is absorbed
3. Season steak with salt and pepper
4. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat and sauté steaks in oil until brown; do not overcook
5. Remove cooked steaks to a serving plate
6. Add butter to skillet and melt over medium-high heat
7. Add tomatoes and sauté until they begin to brown, approximately two minutes
8. Add spinach and sauté until reduced, approximately 3 minutes
9. Add diced or sliced avocado and spoon mixture over steak
Serve with rice