Sam Penrod reporting Orem firefighters were called out to a structure fire this morning at a storage shed used as a workshop. The workshop was destroyed, but the firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading.
Firefighters got the call to the Alamo storage units, located at 933 N. Industrial Rd., just before 9:00 this morning. When they arrived, smoke and flames were coming out of the storage sheds. The firefighters were able to contain the fire to just two storage sheds.
This particular storage unit was used as a workshop for a business, and the workers have a good idea that they started the fire. "We had people inside of the structure. They were able to get out OK. They reported they had some sparks from some welding and grinding that got into the filters of a paint booth, and this is just the initial report that we got. Obviously, this is all under investigation at this time," explained Capt. Dave Hood, of the Orem Fire Department.
The firefighters had to use heavy-duty saws to cut through the garage-style doors to get into the storage sheds. The doors could not be rolled up because they had melted from the intense flames.
The biggest loss from the fire is likely from the property that was inside the two sheds--including some boat trailers, table saws and lathes.
They are still adding up a damage figure from what was lost today and checking to see what is covered by insurance, but the loss is easily tens of thousands of dollars.