Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
(KSL News) Fire forced a Layton family out of their home this afternoon.
Firefighters say the fire began in a shop attached to the rear of the house. The flames then quickly spread into the attic of the house itself.
The couple inside smelled the smoke and ran out the front door with their 8-year-old granddaughter. Nobody was injured.
Firefighters estimate the damage to be nearly $70,000. The investigation is still underway, but they believe an indoor heater used in the shop may have started it.