West Valley standoff ends peacefully

6 photos
Save Story

Show 1 more video

Leer en español

Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

WEST VALLEY — A standoff ended peacefully after at least 15 homes were evacuated Thursday afternoon when an armed man barricaded himself inside his West Valley home.

Wayne Parry, 43, was taken into custody about 5 p.m., surrendering to police and receiving medical attention for a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his lower jaw. No other injuries were reported in the incident, police said.

Police responded at around 12 p.m. to a domestic dispute at 3181 S. 2910 West in West Valley. Parry and his girlfriend had been in a fight, according to police.

After the girlfriend left the home, police were called back at about 1:30 p.m. to reports of shots fired at the residence.

West Lake Junior High School was placed on lockdown and Hillsdale Elementary School was dismissed early, according to police.

Parry had barricaded himself inside the home, and because shots were fired police evacuated 15–20 homes in the area as a precaution.

Deputy Chief Mike Powell with the West Valley Police Department said Thursday was not the first time police have been called to that house.

"We have responded out here more than once this week, and this is just an ongoing domestic dispute, is what it appears to be at this point," he said.

Upon his surrender, Parry was transported to an area hospital.

Contributing: Andrew Wittenberg and McKenzie Romero



Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Stephanie Grimes


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast