News / Utah / 

Dog saves family from carbon monoxide poisoning

By Faith Heaton Jolley | Posted - Dec 16th, 2012 @ 11:39am



MURRAY — A family was saved from carbon monoxide poisoning when their dog woke them up and alerted them to the danger.

Tonya Ostrander and her daughter Chehala Moore took the 4-year-old Chihuahua "Snow," home from the Humane Society of Utah on a trial adoption. According to Ostrander, the dog began barking during the night awakening her and her daughter on December 10. Ostrander and her daughter both realized that they were ill, and they called an ambulance. Both were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning which is often fatal.

"I know Snow saved our lives," Ostrander said. "We probably would have never woken up if she hadn't started barking to alert us that something was really wrong."

After recovering from their ordeal, Ostrander and her daughter officially adopted "Snow" who had already been rescued from a shelter in Los Angeles. Moore is legally blind and now uses Snow as he constant guide.

Related Stories

Faith Heaton Jolley

KSL Weather Forecast