This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SALT LAKE CITY — Making the perfect pumpkin pie can be tricky. So we turned to Marie Callendar's for some pie tips.
Tips for the Perfect Pumpkin Pie
1. Start with a great crust. It must be flakey like Marie Callender's and have the right ratio of flour to shortening. You can also find the Marie Callender's crust, which is the next best thing to our fresh-made crust, in your grocer's freezer.
2. Use quality pumpkin.
3. The spices that you use make a huge difference. We use a high-end cinnamon (Saigon), high heat dry milk, cornstarch, and pumpkin spices in our dry mix.
4. Make your filling a day ahead of using it. This allows all of the ingredients to blend together and improves the flavor.
5. Use ice cold water and cold, whole eggs.
6. Use a rubber spatula when making the filling, and again just prior to using to stir the product. Do not use a wire whip. You do not want to add air into the filling. This could produce air bubbles, which may rise to the surface of the pie.
7. Bake the pie the day you are going to eat it to ensure freshness.
8. And, if you don't want to be stuck in the kitchen making your own pies this holiday season, then simply visit a Marie Callender's restaurant and take-home one of your favorite pies.
Marie Callender's Holiday Feast
Take the "stress" out of your holidays with Marie Callender's five delicious, pre-cooked Holiday Feasts, starting at $99.99. Available at participating locations or by visiting the Marie Callender's website at mariecallenders.com. Holiday Feasts must be ordered by Wednesday, November 21.
The Holiday Feasts feature a complete dinner with all of the trimmings and, of course, one of Marie Callender's signature whole Pumpkin Pies or Apple Pies. Preparation to the table in under 3 hours.
You can purchase Marie Callender's Oven-Roasted Turkey Breast ($36.99), Bone-In Spiral Cut Quarter Ham ($36.99), Whole Roasted Turkey ($49.99), or any sides a la carte to complement your homemade dishes.
For more information, or to find a Marie Callender's location nearest you, visit mariecallenders.com.