Man killed himself in Ogden standoff, police say

8 photos
Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

OGDEN — A man found dead following a standoff with Ogden police died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the Weber County Attorney's Office announced Wednesday.

Aaron Matthew Collier, 35, was found dead inside a house in the 100 block of 4th Street early Sunday. Collier "died from a single gunshot to his head. The gunshot wound was self-inflicted," Weber County Attorney Dee Smith said in a prepared statement.

Police were originally called to the house on a domestic dispute. Stacee Chivers called 911 "distraught and crying" about 2:30 a.m. Sunday, Smith said, and requested police help.

While officers were in the house talking to Chivers, without warning "a handgun appeared from around a door and began firing at them," according to the county attorney's statement. Collier fired seven shots at the officers who returned an undisclosed number of rounds, Smith said.

One of the officers' shots hit Collier in the leg, but did not cause fatal injuries, Smith said. After officers got out of the house, the Ogden Metro SWAT team was called to surround the residence. During the ensuing standoff, Collier texted a friend. Ogden Police Lt. Danielle Croyal declined Wednesday to comment on whom Collier was texting, what he was saying or whether he gave any indication to the person he was communicating with that he was going to commit suicide.

After negotiations with Collier failed, SWAT members eventually entered the house. They found Collier dead inside, Smith said.

The girlfriend's family told KSL she called 911 because the man had been in a fight with his friend inside this house. The family had no idea how the man died.

They said Collier was not abusive. They didn't even know Collier had a gun.

The officers involved in the shooting remained on standard paid administrative leave Wednesday. Smith said additional details will be released when the investigation into the incident is completed.

Contributing: Sandra Yi, Peter Samore


Related stories

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Pat Reavy


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast