Three Burned in Roy House Fire

Three Burned in Roy House Fire

13 photos
Save Story

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

Photo courtesy Steven and Shiree ClarkWhit Johnson reporting

A house fire in Roy left three teenagers injured, one of them seriously, with burns covering most of his body. It happened late this morning near 4100 South and 2200 West.

The fire started when some gas cans lined up next to a boat exploded. The fire ultimately burned the entire north side of the house.

The exact cause is still under investigation, but there were three teenagers in the area at the time. One of them, the 15-year-old who lives here, received third-degree burns on 70 to 80 percent of his body. He was taken to University Hospital by medical helicopter.

His father was not home when the fire started but was able to rush back and check in with his son before he went to the hospital. "All I did was able to stick my head in the ambulance and he just told me, he says, ‘I love you, Dad,' and I told him I loved him; and he didn't look very good," Dean Tracy said.

Tracy added, "I'm kind of sick. I don't feel well at all. I'm worry about my son. I'm worried about my wife. She's taking it really hard."

All three of the teenagers were able to get out of the home before the flames got out of control. The teenager with the serious burns was covered in flames at one time. He dropped to the ground, rolled around, and his friends helped put out the flames.

The two friends were burned on their hands and forearms. They were taken to McKay-Dee Hospital. Their injuries are considered minor.

Firefighters believe the teenager with the more serious injuries will survive. "There's gonna be some rehabilitation going on. There'll be some treatment going on. But as I spoke with him he was conscious. He talked to me the whole time, even when we loaded him in the ambulance he was conscious and talking to us," Roy Fire Chief Jon Ritchie said.

Firefighters say the gasoline caused the fire to become very intense. There is significant damage to the home, but no cost estimate just yet.


Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast