News / Utah / 

Allgier pleads guilty in killing of corrections officer

6 photos

Show 1 more video

Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — In a surprise move, Curtis Allgier pleaded guilty Wednesday to killing Department of Corrections officer Stephen Anderson in 2007.

After years of fighting his charges with numerous appeals, lawyer dismissals and outbursts in court, Allgier unexpectedly entered a plea deal. He pleaded guilty to aggravated murder, disarming a peace officer, aggravated escape, aggravated robbery and possession of a dangerous weapon. He also pleaded no contest to three counts of attempted aggravated murder.

In pleading guilty, Allgier, 33, avoids the death penalty if he had been convicted. He is expected to be sentenced to life without parole.

The move came during a scheduled court hearing in which Allgier was pushing to represent himself during his upcoming trial, scheduled to begin April 22.

Allgier, already an inmate at the Utah State Prison, shot and killed Anderson, 60, during a failed escape attempt while being escorted to University Hospital.

Allgier, who is known for the tattoos that cover nearly his entire body, shot Anderson and then fled University Hospital on foot.

Pleas Entered
  • Aggravated murder
  • Disarming a peace officer
  • Aggravated escape
  • Aggravated robbery
  • Possession of a dangerous weapon
No contest
  • Attempted aggravated murder (3 counts)

He used Anderson's weapon to steal a vehicle and then led police on a high-speed chase on I-80, I-15 and I-215 at speeds exceeding 100 mph.

When the vehicle's tires were spiked, Allgier continued to flee on foot, eventually running into an Arby's restaurant at 1700 South and Redwood Road. There, Allgier pointed a gun at the head of an Arby's employee before a patron was able to wrest the gun from him.

A prosecutor said Anderson's family has had to endure delay after delay and wanted the case to get resolved. A defense attorney for Allgier said he decided to plead guilty out of respect to the officer's family.

Contributing: Sandra Yi


Related stories

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Pat Reavy


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast