Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
Mary Richards, KSL Newsradio A dangerous superbug in the news lately has been found at a Salt Lake elementary school, but it appears to be isolated and was quickly taken care of.
A student at Uintah Elementary School went to the doctor after his finger wouldn't heal. The doctor's office informed the school it was a staph infection.
"Because staph infections, in general, can be very contagious, the school decided to disinfect," explained Jason Olsen, with the Salt Lake City School District. He says the school found out later in the week the infection was MRSA.
There are a handful of such cases every year in Salt Lake, but lately MRSA has been all over the East Coast.
The district sent home a letter to parents but hasn't had any more reports of the infection. "It's a very short incubation period. So, if they had been infected, by now they probably would have seen something," Olsen said.
Olsen also says the student with the infection is fine now.