Find a list of your saved stories here

South Jordan fire was human-caused, accidental

Save Story

Save stories to read later

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SOUTH JORDAN — A Tuesday fire that damaged eight homes and forced the evacuation of a neighborhood was ruled to be a "human caused accidental fire," according to a news release issued Thursday by the South Jordan Fire Department.

Officials say the fire, which began around 4:15 Tuesday near the Glenmoor Golf Course, 4300 W. Lockshire Circle, was caused by a resident lighting a pile of cotton the size of a dinner plate on fire in their backyard.

Even a small fire with small intentions can have dramatic effects.

–Fire Capt. Nathan Morreale

The fire spread quickly, igniting cotton droppings from cottonwood and poplar trees in the area. Approximately 20 homes were evacuated and many homeowners used their own hoses to fight the blaze, including three individuals who received minor injuries.

In addition to the eight homes, several sheds and other structures were damaged by the fire.

“This is another example of how fast and dangerous fire can be,” South Jordan Fire captain Nathan Morreale said in a prepared statement “Even a small fire with small intentions can have dramatic effects.”

Related stories

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Benjamin Wood


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast