Pool incident sends 3 Scouts to the hospital

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

DUCHESNE — Three Boy Scouts were injured after inhaling fumes at the Duchesne City Pool.

The three Scouts, two aged 11 and one 13, were working on a swimming merit badge in the pool around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday when a chemical pump failed.

When the pump started up again, it released a chlorine and hydrochloric acid burst into the water, said Cpl. Monty Nay with the Duchesne County Sheriff’s Office.

The three Scouts inhaled the fumes and had problems breathing.

All were treated at a local hospital. Two of the boys were released.

The third boy was flown to Primary Children’s Medical Center early Thursday morning in critical condition. Nay said the boy’s mother told him the boy’s condition was improving.



Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Viviane Vo-duc


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast