News / Utah / 

Home damaged by garage fire in Kaysville

By Benjamin Wood | Posted - Jun. 26, 2011 at 5:00 p.m.


11 photos

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

KAYSVILLE — A Kaysville house caused more than $60,000 of damage Sunday and sent one firefighter to the hospital with heat exhaustion.

The fire started Sunday afternoon at 67 N 750 East. A man was siphoning gasoline from a vehicle in his garage when the gas caught a spark and ignited, Kaysville Fire Chief Brett Larkin said. Larkin said the man had begun drilling into the gas tank to remove the gasoline, which may have started the fire.

Matt Wood said he was outside with his family when they heard shouting and saw smoke coming from his neighbor's garage. Wood and some other men ran to the home and attempted to put out the fire with extinguishers.

"It spread a lot faster than we could do anything," Wood said.

Wood said the fire had spread to the roof when police and fire crews arrived. All of the occupants, he said, made it out of the building safely.

"Everybody made it out OK which is the important thing," Wood said.

Larkin said the crews had been working for about 30 minutes when one of the firefighters began showing signs of heat exhaustion. He was taken to the hospital but is in good condition, Larkin said. There were no other injuries.

The fire resulted in the loss of the garage and damage to the house, Larkin said, as well as destroying one car and damaging two others.

Email:benwood@desnews.com

Photos

Benjamin Wood

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast