Some Stores Recall Toy After Boy's Death

Some Stores Recall Toy After Boy's Death

Save Story

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Some Utah stores are pulling a popular toy from store shelves after a two-year-old boy from Washington state swallowed pieces of the magnetized building set and died.

Smith's Marketplace stores in Utah are among retailers nationwide joining in a voluntary recall of Magnetix until the investigation is complete.

Last month, Kenny Sweet, of Redmond, Washington, died after swallowing two magnets that fell off his older brother's Magnetix. One magnet got stuck at one end of his gastrointestinal tract and the other got stuck at the other end. Eventually, they pinched his intestines closed and he died from septic shock.

The U-S Consumer Product Safety Commission is now investigating whether or not the toy is safe.

While, Kroger Company, which owns Smith's Food and Drug, Fred Meyer and other stores has pulled the product from its shelves. Other companies, such as Toys R Us, are waiting for a verdict from the C-P-S-C before they pull their stock of Magnetix.


Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast