This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
Shelley Osterloh ReportingPerhaps you've been to the post office today and you already know this: today is the busiest mailing day of the year at Utah post offices. Postal workers try to make it one of the most pleasant too, at least they are trying to make waiting in line pleasant.
Utah post offices are expecting more than 2-million cards and packages will be dropped in the mail today, and people want them delivered before Christmas, just six days away.
Automated postal centers located in the lobby of 29 post offices are open 24/7 and take credit and debit cards.
Some Holiday Mailing Tips:
- Use Priority Mail through Dec 21
- Use Express Mail through Dec 24 (even deliver Christmas Day)
- Use sturdy box, pack contents in bubble wrap or other cushioning material.
- Seal box with tape, not string
- Label clearly with zip code, include return address
- Consider package Delivery confirmation and insurance.
Want to avoid lines altogether? Check out the US postal web site.