2 burned in American Fork barbecue explosion

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

AMERICAN FORK -- A simple mistake while barbecuing sent a man to the hospital Saturday.

Witnesses say the man was trying to light his grill in his yard near 350 East 100 North around 2:30 p.m. by pouring gasoline on it. The pressure built up and created an explosion which sent flames shooting towards the man.

"It was like a bomb, a homemade bomb went off," said Marcus Cramer, who witnessed the explosion. "I saw a man on fire. He was from head to toe in flames."

Neighbors ran over to help and called 911. The man was taken to the hospital with severe burns on more than 50 percent of his body.

Another man suffered minor burns as well.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast