News / Utah / 

Boater's Remains Not Found in Final Search

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

STRAWBERRY RESERVOIR, Utah (AP) -- The first search since November for the remains of a man who disappeared here nearly 12 years ago ended without searchers finding his body.

Searchers with the Wasatch County Sheriff's Office had hoped to find Austin Lloyd's remains on Saturday by using the same technology used to find the remains of his two companions and three others in November.

Lloyd, of Spanish Fork, was 19 when, on Sept. 23, 1995, he went fishing with two companions, Phillip Shepherd, 26, and Daniel Maycock, 19. The three were never seen alive again.

The Wasatch County Sheriff's Office believes strong winds and choppy waters sank their 15-foot boat.

At the time, searchers dragged the reservoir bottom with hooks and scanned it with sonar. They only found a tackle box, a monogramed life jacket and one of Lloyd's boots.

On Nov. 8, 2006, Catheryn and Steven Roundy, of Orem, disappeared on the reservoir when their boat sank.

Search teams used sonar, underwater cameras and a remote-controlled submarine to search for the Roundys. Searchers found their bodies and also the remains of Shepherd and Maycock, as well as the body of a Salt Lake City man who disappeared in 2001.

The discovery of the five remains in November spurred speculation recovery teams from across the state would resume searches for other long-lost drowning victims. But Doug McCleve, commander of the DPS dive team, said Friday no sheriffs have requested assistance.

Saturday's search for Lloyd's body was used as a training session.

"We basically checked everything we had and did it again," said Paul Royall, a volunteer on Wasatch County's search and rescue team.

The sonar found the group's sunken boat as well as a lawn chair thought to have sunk during the 1995 accident, but Lloyd's remains weren't found.

Lloyd's family was not seen by searchers at the reservoir on Saturday.Wasatch County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Todd Bonner said he spoke by telephone with Lloyd's mother and she told him: "It's been a long road. It's over."

Bonner, who commanded the search in 1995 and again Saturday, said Wasatch County or other agencies might conduct future training on Strawberry Reservoir, but Saturday is expected to be the last organized effort with the goal of finding Lloyd.

"I've got to end it sometime," Bonner said. "We had committed to the Lloyd family we would try one more day." ----

Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast