Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SALT LAKE CITY -- Utah is not part of a nationwide safety trend that shows the far fewer children in the United States are being injured by poisonings from household cleaners.
The journal Pediatrics found the rate of emergency room visits declined dramatically -- 46 percent -- over the last 15 years. In Utah, however, the rates stayed the same.
In fact, coordinators at the Utah Poison Control Center say the number of calls for household cleaners has increased.
The top poison risks in Utah homes are dish soaps, especially those that are packaged and look like candy; bleach; disinfectants, these colorful ones appeal; glass cleaner and floor cleaner.
"They're accessible and used the most, especially if you think about dishwashing detergent. You're probably using that every day at least, whereas other things, like floor cleaner, you might only use once a week or so," explained Marty Malheiro, spokeswoman for the Utah Poison Control.
To Stay Safe: Always lock up household cleaners and keep them in their original containers -- spray bottles send mixed messages.
CLICK HERE for a list of more ways to prevent accidental poisoning.