Investigators: Cigarette sparked Midvale apartment fire

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

MIDVALE -- Fire investigators say a cigarette butt most likely started a large fire at a Midvale apartment complex that left 20 people without homes.

The three-alarm fire destroyed a dozen units at the Royal Ridge apartment complex near 1000 East and 7400 South Wednesday morning.

According to the Deseret News, investigators now say the fire started on a third floor balcony where it appears an improperly discarded cigarette or some other smoking material sparked the blaze.

Most residents of the building had little time to gather belongings. Crews condemned the building, which will eventually have to be torn down.

Damage estimates with property lost are expected to reach $1 million.

Related stories

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast