News / 
Bush Says U.S. Mourns Victims of Asian Disaster

Bush Says U.S. Mourns Victims of Asian Disaster

Posted - Dec. 29, 2004 at 7:51 a.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

CRAWFORD, Texas (AP) -- President Bush said Wednesday the United States, India, Australia and Japan have formed an international coalition to coordinate worldwide relief and reconstruction efforts for the Asian region ravaged by a deadly earthquake and tsunamis.

"We will stand with them as they start to rebuild their communities," Bush said from his Texas ranch in his first comments on the disaster Sunday that so far has killed more than 76,000.

Bush pledged a multifaceted response from the United States that goes far beyond the $35 million initially pledged, including U.S. military manpower and damage surveillance teams in the short term and long-term rebuilding assistance. He also called on Americans to donate cash to relief organizations to augment the response.

"This has been a terrible disaster. It is beyond our comprehension," the president said.

Bush said he talked to the leaders in the affected region and was working to target initial relief efforts to the things those leaders most needed.

Bush also said he was concerned the Asian region wasn't prepared with a warning system that foretold the massive tsunamis and that he supported creation of a worldwide warning system.

"It makes sense for the world to come together to develop a warnings system to help all nations," he said.

The president also pointedly dismissed a United Nation official's suggestion that rich nations like the United States have been "stingy" in relief efforts. "I felt like the person who made that statement was very misguided and ill informed," Bush said.

U.S. Agency for International Development chief Andrew Natsios told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the $35 million aid package has drained his organization's emergency relief fund, forcing it to ask Congress or the White House for more money.

"We just spent it," Natsios said. "We'll be talking to the (White House) budget office."

The State Department said Tuesday that 12 Americans had died in the disaster -- seven in Sri Lanka and five in Thailand. Hundreds of Americans remain missing.

Bush said U.S. officials were working hard to locate many more Americans who remain unaccounted for and to provide assistance to those who were injured or displaced in the region.

"Our prayers go out to those who have lost so much to this series of disasters," he said.

The State Department, meanwhile, encouraged all American citizens traveling in any part of the countries hit by the earthquake to telephone family members to let them know they are doing.

If the travelers need help they should get in touch with U.S. diplomatic posts, the department said in a statement.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast