Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
The Legislature is looking at a proposal that would make renters responsible for carbon monoxide detectors.
The Standard Examiner reports House Bill 402 would prohibit a city or county from holding landlords responsible for the installation and maintenance of carbon dioxide detectors in residential units.
After a series of near-deadly carbon monoxide poisonings, Ogden passed an ordinance requiring CO detectors in homes. Fire Chief Mike Mathieu says landlords are mainly in charge.
"At the time of the lease the owner needs to provide a working carbon monoxide detector. But during the course of the lease, it's up to the tenant to take care of it," he said.
The bill would prohibit cities in Utah from passing a similar ordinance.
Lawmakers say landlords shouldn't have to continually oversee maintenance of the detector.
Chief Mathieu says the proposal is like making a driver get the airbags and seatbelts installed in their car.
The bill's main sponsor, Rep. Kevin Garn, R-Layton, told the Standard Examiner the proposal isn't meant to target Ogden, which is the only city in the state with such a carbon monoxide ordinance.