Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SEATTLE (AP) — Forward Obafemi Martins didn't travel to preseason camp with the Seattle Sounders, who are considering an offer to send him to a team in the Chinese Super League.
The 31-year-old has been with the Sounders since 2013 and scored 15 goals in 21 regular-season games last year. The BBC reported Sunday that Martins has joined Shanghai Shenhua.
Sounders general manager Garth Lagerwey said in an audio statement released by the team Sunday: "Obafemi's not here with us in this phase of camp. We've had an approach from a Chinese club for his services. It could take a while to have that resolved."
Seattle is preparing for its 2016 opener against Mexico's America on Feb. 23 in the first leg of the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals.
Lagerway says, "Hopefully we know more by the end of the week."
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.







