Estimated read time: Less than a minute
SALT LAKE CITY -- Security officers at the University of Utah had a brief scare Friday night over a seemingly hazardous material.
In the Henry Eyring Building, two campus security officers noticed an open door in a room that houses the heating and air conditioning equipment.
"They were just doing routine rounds, found a door opened, stepped inside, could smell something, and then started feeling a little bit sick, so they backed out," said Mark Bednarik, spokesman for the Salt Lake City Fire Department.
Hazmat teams checked out the room and found a valve leaking glycol. They shut off the valve and cleaned up what had spilled onto the floor.
Glycol is an irritant, but not toxic in the amount spilled Friday night.
The security guards were checked out at a hospital but are OK.