Women's soccer: BYU 2, Utah 1

Women's soccer: BYU 2, Utah 1

Save Story

Estimated read time: 3-4 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

Press releasePROVO -- After a 2-1 overtime victory over Utah, the No. 14 BYU women's soccer team (10-2-1, 1-0) clinched its first conference victory and keeps the Deseret First Duel trophy.

"It was a very exciting match," said BYU coach Jennifer Rockwood. "It's always a great battle when we have these rivalry games."

In the first two minutes, a Ute handball in the box gave the Cougars the chance at a penalty kick. Sophomore Lauren Anderson took a well-placed shot to the left corner putting BYU ahead 1-0.

Utah played catch-up for most of the first half, getting a few looks on goal. In the 34th minute, the Utes had a chance on the counter-attack but McKinzie Olson made an easy save.

A Utah corner kick with just over 10 minutes left was deflected to the foot of Kelly Iselib. The senior sent a strong shot through a flurry of players and under the outstretched Olson to score the equalizer.

Both squads picked up the pace in the closing minutes but no more balls found the back of the net and the two teams went into their respective locker rooms with a tie score.

"I've got to give credit to Utah," Rockwood said. "They got us away from kicking the ball around, which is what we normally like to do."

The second half brought even more physicality with three injury timeouts and combined fouls passing the 35 mark.

"It was a very physical, very intense match," Rockwood said. "Players on both teams gave everything they had on the field."

Senior Andrea Willis had one of the best opportunities of the half when her free kick was denied by Utah keeper Hannah Turpen on an excellent diving save. The battle went back and forth but when the whistle signaled the end of the half, neither team had taken the advantage.

The first 10-minute sudden death overtime period began with the ball remaining in Ute territory for the opening minutes but BYU kept getting ever closer to goal. This overtime was the Cougars' fifth of the season.

Payne did some acrobatics to send a ball flying just over the crossbar in the third minute. Seconds later, Kassidy C. Shumway pounded a one-touch volley to the left side of the goal only to have Turpen get a diving hand to it.

The Cougars continued to penetrate the Utah defense but the Utes fought back, having a couple chances of their own. With just 43 seconds left in the first overtime, BYU was pushing players forward and Alyssa Vander Veur got a foot to the ball in the frenzy. The senior's shot was blocked back to freshman Jessica Ringwood who struck a low ball to the back of the net, giving BYU the 2-1 victory.

"We've been preparing for this game for a long time," Rockwood said. "It was a great college match. There was a lot of energy."

BYU will be back in action Thursday to continue conference play on the road against San Diego State and UNLV on Saturday.

(Courtesy of BYU Media)

Most recent Sports stories

Related topics

BYU CougarsSports


From first downs to buzzer beaters, get KSL.com’s top sports stories delivered to your inbox weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast