Don't let yourself get caught in a rut of boredom with your partner. Date nights are essential to keeping the flame of love alive in relationships. You have to work on your relationship to keep it continuously growing. This creates interest and change which brings you closer as a couple. Always make time for your partner and do something fun together. In other words, make date night a habit!
Date night needs to be more than just time spent together. It is best if it is fun and sometimes unpredictable. Surprises while dating in marriage can add fun, interest and intrigue. Don't get trapped in a stale pattern of always doing the same thing. Find some new ideas for your dates and get out and have fun together!
Here are a few rules to get you started:
• Leave your house…get a life!
• Dates don't include mandatory events, obligations, family or invitations. You can combine but they must be different.
• Don't invite another couple on EVERY date. • Get it on your calendar. It is easier to say no to others when you have a set plan on the calendar.
• Start small; one date first, then two, then weekly.
• Give it enough time; at least 2 hours.
• Make sure it is mutually beneficial, that it suits both of you.
• Take turns creating the date.
• Share your expectations of the date with one another.
• Be willing to try everything legal and moral!
• Risk, Risk, Risk.
Here is my challenge: GO TEST IT OUT!
1. COMMIT TO EACH OTHER TO HAVE 6 WEEKLY DATE NIGHTS OVER THE NEXT 6 WEEKS.
2. ROTATE TURNS OWNING THE EXPERIENCES.
3. COMMIT THAT YOU WILL DO SOMETHING NEW EACH TIME.
4. TALK ABOUT EVERYTHING YOU LOVED ABOUT THE DATE WHEN IT'S OVER.
5. GET BACK TOGETHER AFTER THE 6 WEEKS AND EVALUATE THE EXPERIENCE AND RECOMMIT.
Parker-Pope, Tara, "Reinventing Date Night for Long-Married Couples," Tara Parker-Pope. New York Times, Feb. 28, 2008.
Sussman, Lisa. 500 Great Dates: Creative, Fun, and Sexy Ways to Spend Time Together. NY: Hearst, 2007.
CLICK HERE to hear Matt's ideas about date nights. (Depending on the speed of your internet connection, this could take a few minutes to download the audio.)