Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SALT LAKE CITY -- Two campers say they're lucky to be alive after their van caught fire on the freeway Saturday evening.
The men were headed northbound on Interstate 15 near 2100 South just before 7:30, when one of them smelled gasoline, and the van died.
That's when the men noticed the fire. "Right there, at my feet, flames just came up, and so I just grabbed the cooler and threw the cooler of ice on it," said passenger Colt World.
The ice, however, did little to smother the flames, and within 15 seconds the van was engulfed.
Both got out safely and were just a little shaken up by the ordeal. No word yet on what started the fire.