*Presented by Pauline Williams, USU Extension Agent*Almost Chicken Wings (makes 16 pieces)
Substituting chicken breast strips for wings and grilling instead of frying lowers the fat content of this great party dish.
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken breast cut into 16 strips
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 2 Tbs. butter
- Low fat Ranch or blue cheese dressing
Celery Sticks Grill strips until cooked through. Melt butter and hot sauce together, place in serving bowl. Add cooked chicken to hot sauce and coat. Serve with Low fat Ranch or blue cheese dressing, celery sticks, and plenty of napkins.
Nutrient Information per strip without dressing: Calories 60, Carbohydrates 0 g, Protein 10 g, Fat 2 g. Original wings have about 150 calories and 13 g fat per wing.
Homemade Tortilla Chips (8 servings) Making these chips is almost as easy as opening a bag. You’ll have a whole grain, low fat snack and if you add fresh salsa you get a vegetable serving too.
- 10 5-inch tortillas Stack 3 or 4 tortillas and cut into 4 wedges. Repeat for other tortillas making 40 wedges total. Arrange wedges in single layer on baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 8-10 minutes, or until crisp. Nutrient Information for 5 chips (1 oz): Calories 49, Carbohydrate 9 g, protein 2 g, fat 1 g. Regular tortilla chips about 150 calories and 8 grams of fat for one ounce of chips. Whole Wheat Chips (makes 64 chips)
- 8 10 inch whole wheat tortillas, pita, or flatbread
2-3 Tbsp. sun dried tomato or Italian salad dressing Cut tortillas, pita, or flatbread into 8 wedges. Brush lightly with salad dressing (be careful not to use too much dressing or chips will be soggy). Bake at 400 degrees F. for 8-10 minutes or until chips are crisp. Serve with white bean dip. Nutrient Information for 4 chips: Calories 58, Carbohydrate 6 g, Protein 2 g, Fat 1 g, Fiber 2 g.
White Bean Dip(Serves 24) You’ll love the garlic and rosemary flavor of this dip so much; you may never eat regular bean dip again.
- 1 14 oz can white beans (great northern), drained and rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. rosemary
Hot pepper sauce to taste Combine beans and garlic in food processor. Add rosemary, olive oil, and lemon juice process until smooth. Add hot pepper sauce, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve with toasted pitas, tortilla chips, or raw vegetables.
Nutrient Information for 2 Tbsp: Calories 45, Carbohydrate 6 g, Protein 2 g, Fat 1 g, Fiber 2 g.
Easy Chocolate Cookies (makes 24) A low fat cookie with fiber? The chocolaty flavor and easy mixing will make this one of your favorite treats.
- 1 box (15 to 20 oz) fudge brownie mix
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup Orange juice Mix brownie mix, wheat bran, and orange juice together; batter will be thin. Spray baking sheet with non-cook spray. Drop by 2 tablespoons full onto baking sheet, 2 inches apart (leave plenty of room cookies spread). Cook at 375 degrees F. for 12 minutes (centers will be soft). Let cool at least 10 minutes before removing from pan to avoid breaking cookie. Nutrient Information for one cookie: Calories 84, Carbohydrate 19 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 1 g, Fat 1 g. Regular Chocolate Cookie: 130 calories and 6 grams of fat.