1 in critical condition after being intentionally run over in Salt Lake neighborhood, police say

1 in critical condition after being intentionally run over in Salt Lake neighborhood, police say


Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — One person was hospitalized with serious injuries after being intentionally run over by a car in Sugar House on Sunday afternoon, police said.

Salt Lake City Police Lt. Steve Wooldridge said the altercation took place between two people at the Smith's on 922 E. 2100 South at around 3:30 p.m. One of the men involved, who was later arrested, was identified Monday as Larry Blackshire, 24, according to Salt Lake City Police Sgt. Keith Horrocks.

Blackshire, along with two other unknown men, allegedly broke a window on the victim's car in the Smith's parking lot, according to a jail report. The three men confronted the victim, who fled on foot, according to the report.

Blackshire then got into his car with the two other men and drove north on 900 East and found the victim near 2010 S. 900 East, according to the jail report. Witnesses later told police the car swerved out of the northbound lane to hit the victim, then made a U-turn and drove back south, slowing down to look at the victim, before driving off, according to the jail report.

Investigators estimated that Blackshire was driving about 40 miles per hour when he allegedly hit the victim, the jail report said.

The victim was taken to the hospital in "extremely critical condition" and is now on life support, according to Blackshire's jail report. The victim hasn't been identified and there were no updates on his condition as of Monday afternoon, according to Horrocks.

Blackshire fled from police who later found him in Central City, where he fled from officers on foot, according to Wooldridge. Officers were eventually able to arrest him.

After his arrest, Blackshire told detectives he initially ran away from police because he knew there were several warrants out for his arrest, the jail report said. He also "made statements during the interview with detectives that he felt no remorse for what he had done," the jail report alleges.

Detectives also discovered multiple open alcohol containers on the passenger seat of Blackshire's vehicle. He was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of murder and DUI, both felonies, as well as three other misdemeanor offenses, according to jail records.

Editor's note: A previous version stated that the suspect was seen intentionally driving over the victim at 2240 S. 900 East. That has been corrected to 2010 S. 900 East.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Jen Riess is the weekend and evening content producer for KSL.com. She also covers breaking news and in her free time loves being with her dogs and cheering on the Cleveland Browns.


Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast