News / Utah / 

Mike DeBernardo, KSL-TV

Elk Ridge lifts water boil advisory for most of city, mayor thanks residents for patience

By Lauren Bennett, | Posted - Jun 15th, 2019 @ 9:59am

1 photo

ELK RIDGE — After some water samples tested positive for coliform earlier this week, Elk Ridge City announced Friday via Facebook the boil advisory has been mostly lifted, except for the southernmost part of the city.

The boil advisory began last week after a water main break caused rocks and dirt to enter a pipeline on Thursday, June 6 around 9 p.m., according to an Elk Ridge city Facebook post.

Officials said the line was old and worn down, which caused the break.

David Jean with Elk Ridge City’s public works department told last Saturday the city hadn't received reports of anyone getting sick from the water.

The city announced the positive coliform results Tuesday in a Facebook post.

Three out of nine water samples contained coliform bacteria and the state requires two consecutive tests with no coliform present to deem the water safe, the post stated.

None of the water samples contained E. coli, officials said.

Elk Ridge City Mayor Ty Ellis issued a statement Friday thanking residents for their patience while they work to resolve the water contamination problem.

The city received the latest water test results back Friday morning and none had coliform present, according to Ellis' statement.

The state allowed the city to lift the advisory for most of the city thanks to Friday's test results.

However, the boil advisory for the southern part of the city will remain for at least one more day, as officials wait for results of another water sample, Ellis said in the statement. The water line break occurred on the south side of town.

Public works officials initially tried to flush the system after the break, but the rocks and dirt created problems with the piping and they weren’t able to thoroughly flush that portion of the water system, according to Ellis.

The first set of water samples were taken June 7 and later came back positive for coliform, but results weren’t announced until Tuesday. Officials explained they had to wait for labs to open and couldn’t test the samples on the weekend.

On Saturday, June 8, officials again attempted to flush the system but no samples were taken because additional repairs were needed and the city didn’t have parts, Ellis said.

The system was flushed again Monday and Tuesday, and he said samples taken from those days came back Wednesday and one sample tested positive for coliform.

“The vast majority of the city had clean water, but the state required us to keep the order in place,” he explained in the statement.

The city is also working to replace about 1,500 feet of pipe where breaks continue to happen, he said.

“The entire city staff realizes the significance of our actions and the importance of providing clean water,” the statement read.


Related Stories

Lauren Bennett

KSL Weather Forecast