Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
PARIS (AP) — After a tantrum in Italy last week, the 36th-ranked Nick Kyrgios withdrew from the French Open on Friday.
The ATP said the Australian player cited illness as the reason.
Kyrgios was defaulted at the Italian Open after a raging outburst. Trailing against Norwegian qualifier Casper Ruud in round two, he slammed his racket into the clay and kicked a water bottle. Then he picked up a chair and flung it onto the court.
He was fined and lost ATP points but escaped a suspension.
The controversial Kyrgios's withdrawal came only days after he posted a video online in which he said the French Open "sucks" when compared to Wimbledon, where he trained recently.
In 2015, he insulted Stan Wawrinka with crude remarks during a match in Montreal. He was fined $12,500 and given a suspended 28-day ban. He also attracted criticism for deciding not to play at the 2016 Rio Olympics because of a spat with an Australian team official, and for firing back at retired players who have offered advice.
Kyrgios was due to start his Roland Garros campaign against Cameron Norrie of Britain.
The tournament starts on Sunday.
More AP tennis coverage: https://www.apnews.com/apf-Tennis and https://twitter.com/AP\_Sports
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.